30 August 2011

Vintage Lingerie Collection -- Warning Pic Heavy!

I finally started taking photos of some of my vintage lingerie collection. I'll warn you, this barely scratches the surface and I probably have about three or four more pic heavy posts to show you my complete collection. Remember, I started collecting when things like this weren't desireable so I had my choice and my choice of price as no one thought it was worth much for someone to want someone's old lingerie! Lingerie has always been a passion of mine, and when I started my indie design company I focused on lingerie. I strove to make vintage style lingerie but with a modern twist. I did phenomonly well, but it got to the point where I had to make a difficult choice: choose an investor, losing control of what I created, or try to keep going it alone. Going it alone proved too difficult so I shuttered in the early to mid-90s. I can't imagine whats involved now, back then everything was still very much the punk DIY aesthetic, and we just did it. And were lucky enough for trendy boutiques to take chances on unknowns. It must be terribly stressful for indie designers today, the money involved alone boggles my mind! If you're an indie designer today, I'd love to hear your experiences.

This is a peignoir set from the 60s. I don't know if you can see the hemline, but its sort of ragged or zig-zagged looking. I suppose they were going for a "cavewoman" look! Kinda nuts as the collar and cuffs on the robe are edged in velvet! The nightgown underneath is just a simple sleeveless shift style.

Another leopard lovely, also from the 60s. This is what would've been considered a "hostess" gown, something to throw on when unexpected company arrived. It zips up the front and can be worn partially zipped for a v-neck look, or as pictured, zipped all the way up creating a turtleneck.



This psychedelic beauty belonged to my dear cousin (we called her our aunt as it suited her.) She had fantastic style, and is the one responsible for teaching me just about everything I know about buying secondhand! Her house was filled with priceless antiques, all picked up for a pittance as they were in undesireable condition. But she knew they could be brought back to life with a good refinishing and new upholstery. Her home should have been in a magazine, it was classy, classic, and had such personality. I'm sad she's no longer with us, but I have some of her beautiful things (clothing, furniture, and housewares) to keep her memory close to me always. (That's our hammy Westie, Fiona who thinks all cameras are for taking photos of her!)


I'm not exactly sure of the date of this beautiful kimono, but am fairly certain its from the late 50s-early 60s. The colours are so vibrant, and I love the design. The front is plain with all the design on the back.


This is a 30s bias cut nightgown. It has (as many from that era do) ties in the back. The lovely lace around the neckline makes it a little more special than the average 30s nightgown.


This is another 30s bias cut nightgown. Its such a pale buttery yellow that I don't think it photographed that well. What's unusual is that I found its twin the same day (in the same shop) in pale pink!


I'm fairly certain this is from the 20s. Its homemade, so there aren't any tags to give me a clue. The top is crocheted lace, and the bottom is pink silk.



This is just a simple bias cut slip from the 30s. Nothing fancy, very basic, but very versatile.


This is a 30s peignoir set. Its so difficult to find both the robe and the nightgown, so whenever you do, you've found a treasure!


This is another full length shot of the same peignoir set.

1930s bias cut nightgown with ties in the back.


1930s bias cut silk nightgown. Its hemmed in beautiful lace.

One of my prized Pucci pieces. This is one the "Emilio Pucci for Formfit Rodgers" pieces you see most commonly for sale now as so much of it was produced. As I mentioned in my previous post I sold so much vintage Pucci back in the day, but had I known it would've gone to the exhorbitant prices it has today I probably would have kept more of it. Hindsight is always 50/50 right? I only kept the pieces that fit along with one clutch bag and a scarf. So I guess I can't complain! (Except I still wish I had some of it -- the box bags especially!)


1930s silk bias cut nightgown.




Closeup of the lacework.

Simple 1930's bias cut silk nightgown. I purchased this on my honeymoon so of course I have fond memories of it. Its got lovely cutwork around the neckline.

Simple 1930s bias cut silk half slip. They make great skirts!

Interesting seamed 1930s silk half slip. Its a little more pink than peach which was more common.

Cream silk 1930s half slip. I love the lacework!

60s zebra half slip. The Punk Glam Princess (now my official photographer!) tried to photograph it so you could see the lace edged slits on each side. And yeah, I've worn this as a skirt too!

1960s faux Pucci. I love the colour combo and the swirly design.


60s leopard half slip. Note the hemline is the same as the peignoir set, going for that "cavewoman" look again I suppose!

Well that's the end of part one. It'll take some time before I get around to gathering up enough pieces for part two as I have far too much! I'm actually thinking at this point it might be time to let go of some pieces because its starting to feel like I'm hoarding! But we'll see if I can manage to let go of any pieces, they're all so special in their own way that choosing will be a difficult task indeed!

I'd love to see others collections too, c'mon we've got a Frock it on a Friday, maybe we can start a "Vintage Lingerie Day" too!

XXX





12 comments:

  1. My goodness you have so much!!!! I actually have the exact half-slip in the final pic and I call it my Wilma Flintstone slip:)). I'm amazed at the beautiful collection you have squirrelled away and you have really looked after them:)). The 30s blue floral nightgown is incredible and so are all your 30s black lace pieces and I adore the 20s crochet and silk slip. Utterly amazing Suzanne!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yep Wilma Flintstone fits that slip perfect! I love that on the other side of the world you have the same one! It's scary as I started taking pictures and realised this is only about a quarter of what I have. I honestly need to cull but they are so precious to me that I just can't. Plus they're small and easy to store, heehee! Eventually I'll get some more out to photograph, it's a huge job unloading the trunks!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow how awesome is part 1 cant wait to see part 2 now.Lingerie day? Hmm not sure if any of my vintage lingerie would fit me now.Some I have had for years and fitted me then but was in my 20s then too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nelly dear don't hold your breadth for part two, it took me ages to get part one done! if they're bias cut they may still fit. It's amazing how many different sizes a bias cut gown can fit! Otherwise just hang it or out it on a mannequin!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lusting after your lingerie! That psychedelic number is something I'd kill for, seriously I adore it. This post must have taken you ages, it's bloddy wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Vix! I'm thinking I might have to break it down to a few a week to get the rest shown, there's just so much! And I do wear nearly all of it, so it's not like it's just sitting tucked away. Which is why it will be so hard to cull! I knew you'd love the psychedelic one, it's very you!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply Fabulous, I think when I acquired it (maybe 25-30 years ago) it had never been used and since I've taken really good care of it so it's stayed as vibrant as when I got it!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jeanne! You know how bad my hoard is!
    XX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, talk to me! Speak your mind and make a difference. I love finding new blogs to follow, and I can't visit unless you comment.
*Please note: comments are moderated, and anonymous commenting is allowed. I will NOT publish rude comments made anonymously, if you have something rude to say then grow a pair and sign in, then I'll post your comment.I also don't publish comments with imbedded links to spam sites, so stop wasting your time -- you know who you are!
XXX Jet

http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com/p/blog-page.html