08 July 2011

Rebel Never Gets Old

Recently one of the IFB projects was "Independence" and while I thought about it -- was it my first car? My first grown-up clothes I bought myself? Of course I missed the deadline. Then last night it came to me. My independence came because of music. Music set me free, I could be who I wanted, when I wanted and didn't give a fig what anyone thought. I could dress any way that pleased me going from style to style with ease and a sense of curiosity and happiness. I lived a rock n' roll lifestyle (guess I still do to a degree) and wish I could tell you all the fantastic things I saw and did! And I rebelled at every chance I could, usually in the name of all of the injustice in the world.

One song in particular really resonated with me. "Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie. I was a teen when it came out and pronounced to everyone that it was MY song! Below is a clip (sorry if I posted before) of Bowie during his Halloween Jack phase singing the song.


A few years back he redid the song, entitling it "Rebel Never Gets Old" which is the honest truth. Once a rebel always a rebel, and I'm here to prove it! Note the appearance of the Union Jack jacket made by Alexander McQueen makes an appearance.

XXX


8 comments:

  1. I soooo can't wait for your memoirs!!! Music was/is and always will be the root of everything that inspires me and sets me free xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you put that, as music does the same for me! The memoirs will have to wait until I speak with a lawyer -- I def don't want to get sued by some of the unflattering things I have to say. Although almost all won't mind as I have nice things to say!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bowie is a genius ... and the most beautiful blond man on the planet ... still to this day!! Isn't the second vid fabulous?! I saw the McQueen jacket and I wanted more, more, more of that amazingly stylish back-up singer - that feathered skirt!! Arrrgghhhhhhh!!! Yes, once a rebel, always a rebel. That's you Suzanne - hooray!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius and infamous for stealing style from others and making it seem like he started it all! I think it was Mick Jagger who once said "don't ever wear a new pair of shoes around Bowie" pretty funny eh? Still I adore him! And hey, you're not exactly a conformist yourself! (Of course I mean that in the best way!)
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Suzanne! I agree, music sets you free. For me it was Boy George who made me rejoice in being different, he used to squat in my town and as a teen I was in awe of the couldn't give a damn way of dressing. When he appeared on Top Of The Pops I was so proud. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vix! What a cool story! I would be proud too -- mainly for yourself and standing up to rejoice in being different in what can be a very mundane world! You're still doing a fine job of it, and have every reason to still be rejoicing! I have a BG story too, but as I recall it was when he started his early troubles so I could never hold it against him. Besides, how fab was he and the whole Culture Club? Hey, here's a small world for you -- a very good friend of mine's brother in-law is his old bass player! Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and commenting!
    XXX
    Suzanne
    PS Just realised you're a fellow sagittarian, as is my daughter -- go team fire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gina,
    Just normal summer craziness!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, talk to me! Speak your mind and make a difference. I love finding new blogs to follow, and I can't visit unless you comment.
*Please note: comments are moderated, and anonymous commenting is allowed. I will NOT publish rude comments made anonymously, if you have something rude to say then grow a pair and sign in, then I'll post your comment.I also don't publish comments with imbedded links to spam sites, so stop wasting your time -- you know who you are!
XXX Jet

http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com/p/blog-page.html