02 July 2011

Kindness: A Tale

I've recently been going through some very tough times. I'm an optimist who prefers to try and spread hope and kindness and try my hardest not to spread negativity. This time there was an attempt to drag my family down with me. It stops there. Say what you will about me, I have thick skin, but leave my family out of it.

Thankfully, as I explain to the Punk Glam Princess, our friends are the family of our choice. We can choose wisely, and cull the toxicity should it ever rear it's ugly head. And my friends are all amazing. Even the ones I've not met in person and only met online through blogging or my many other online gigs.

One of these amazing people is my fav local barista at Starbucks. She always has a smile for everyone, and is truly a burst of sunshine brightening my day whenever I see her. A few years ago she went through a tough bout with cancer and treatment and I remember her working through it and thinking what a courageous and remarkable woman she was. Last week she told me she was hoping to see me as she's moving down south to North Carolina, and she had a vintage coat she wanted me to have. The coat belonged to her grandmother and she had a feeling it would fit me perfect. It's a vintage seal coat from the 30's so she knew she'd have no use for it in NC. I was completely blown away, She wouldn't accept any money, and just wanted it to be loved and worn. Since she's seen me in my myriad vintage clothes, she knew I would treasure it.

Last week I picked it up. I couldn't accept it without giving something in return so we made up a moving/housewarming basket of all sorts of goodies, meals, relaxing candles, fun pool toys for her son, snacks, whatever I could think of that might be welcomed when just moving. And I wrapped everything and put it into a fun beach bag.

When I saw the coat I cried. It was not only beautiful and fit as if it was made to measure, but I felt like I had been made a part of a new family. Like the fur coats I inherited from a family member, I felt like I was being hugged by a new loved one, hard to describe but that's the closest I can describe the feeling. The kindness was overwhelming to me. A week later, I'm still stunned and tears of joy still spring to my eyes when I think of this amazing act of kindness and generosity. I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

















Beautiful Bakelite button.





Pink embroidery!





We even found out that the furrier may still exist in NY!

Not only will this coat be treasured and worn, one day passed down to the Punk Glam Princess but I feel as if I've made a new lifelong friend. We plan to keep in touch, and had a lovely evening last night picnicking at the yacht club with a birds eye view of the 4th of July fireworks our town puts on over the Hudson. It was a lovely evening filled with good company and great conversation!

Kindness comes in all forms from the little things to the bigger kindnesses. I sincerely believe that the tough times I'm dealing with now has a direct relation to this most kind gesture. Like attracts like, and if we all take the time to spread small kindnesses each day not only will our lives be greatly enriched, but others will catch on and it will spread making the world a much kinder place! My friends are treasures to me, and I hope to make more great friends in the coming years!

XXX

16 comments:

  1. Sorry you've been having a tough time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Wendy! We need to get together soon!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words of inspiration to me show what a wonderful person you are. I love the internet for bringing people together so instantly. I read this post and immediately felt what a kind, caring person you are. Don't let them get you down. You are so right. Your family is who you choose it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina, thank you so much for you words of encouragement, and kindness. I can tell from your response that you too, are a caring and kind person -- thank goodness for the Internet bringing us all together! Thanks so much for your comment and stopping by!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the coat is gorgeous. I know you'll wear it often and well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely going to keep me tasty warm in the harsh NY winter!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous coat and a gorgeous story! But I hate it for Ms. Barista if she thinks NC is only warm...it gets cold enough for fur in winter! I've lived in NC my whole life, and event the most southern parts get cold. Oh well. She wanted you to have it so I suppose it was absolutely meant to be!

    Generosity and kindness from others, especially when they are NOT related, is what keeps me from becoming a jaded old shrew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you G & G! I told her that, but she said she only wore it a few times and really wanted it to go to someone who would treasure it as I will!

    Haha! I agree 100%! A little bit goes a long way, and I truly believe it grows the more you give!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I'm new to your blog, but am glad that I came across it. Congrats on your win in this week's IFB Links a la Mode!

    This coat looks so lush, comfortable and - bottom line - gorgeous. I'm sure you will wear it well!

    -Hallie :)
    www.coralsandcognacs.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hallie, thanks so much for the compliments, commenting and stopping by! I actually have been offline and didn't realise I was part of this weeks links a la mode, so thanks for the heads up! I promise to stop by your blog soon!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ker-rist on a bike it's utterly gorgeous Suzanne!!! It looks unworn and so well cared for, what a wonderful, wonderful gift - you totally deserve such a fantastic surprise and I'm so glad it's given you so much joy:))). Plus you've made a lovely new friend. Bonus!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Desiree, it's in amazing condition for a coat of it's age. The interior lining is silk and usually on the older coats you get the silk shattering or simply disintegrating. Not so with this, it's near perfect! I almost can't wait until winter.... ALMOST, haha!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a generous thing to do! She must have really appreciated your words of encouragement during her bout with cancer. Hopefully things are looking up for you now, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WilmaJean, she's just another amazing, courageous, generous,, and kind woman! There are many, and I felt I needed to give homage to someone special. Thank you, things do seem a little better. Thanks for stopping by and commenting too!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your inspirational story. I made me feel the world isn't such a horrible place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Umbrellamom -- the world is a wonderful place, it's all about what you expect and what you give out. I'm glad the story was inspirational to you and helped you to see how wonderful the world is!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, talk to me! Speak your mind and make a difference. I love finding new blogs to follow, and I can't visit unless you comment.
*Please note: comments are moderated, and anonymous commenting is allowed. I will NOT publish rude comments made anonymously, if you have something rude to say then grow a pair and sign in, then I'll post your comment.I also don't publish comments with imbedded links to spam sites, so stop wasting your time -- you know who you are!
XXX Jet

http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com/p/blog-page.html