25 April 2009

Valentina, A Vintage Fashion Exhibit at The Museum of the City of New York


Photo Credit John Lee
Valentina early 1940's
Albumen silver print
Courtesy of the Estate of Valentina Schlee
Photo courtesy of the Museum of the City of New York
"Fit the century, forget the year." Valentina.

I was lucky enough to cover the exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York on the 14h for Debutante Clothing. I'd love it if you go over and read the article. Don't forget to leave your comments either there or here, and if you have any other questions I'l do my best to answer. If you are interested in fashion, vintage, and the beginning of American Couture, get yourself to this exhibit immediately! Valentina was a mysterious designer, constantly reinventing herself, and her designs were absolutely exquisite. Looking at the seams, fabrics, additions such as a hat or bolero, you can see where many of today's designer's got their inspiration. Honestly, within the exhibit I spotted what Halston, Valentino, and Armani had to have drawn from her inspirations for their future designs. She was also a charming and interesting character and I've no doubt that if you do see the exihit, you'll fall in love with her as I did. They've published a book inconjuncion with the exhibit that is divine and filled with not only the exhibition pieces, but many others including portraits of her taken by the creme de le creme of photographers in her day.

The exhibit runs 14 Feb, 2009 ]through 17 May, 2009 at:
Museum of the City of New York
1220 Fifth Avenue at 103rd St.
New York, NY 10029
212.534.1672 Phone
212.423.0758 Fax
E-mail: info@mcny.org
http://www.mcny.org/

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, talk to me! Speak your mind and make a difference. I love finding new blogs to follow, and I can't visit unless you comment.
*Please note: comments are moderated, and anonymous commenting is allowed. I will NOT publish rude comments made anonymously, if you have something rude to say then grow a pair and sign in, then I'll post your comment.I also don't publish comments with imbedded links to spam sites, so stop wasting your time -- you know who you are!
XXX Jet

http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com/p/blog-page.html