21 April 2009

Earth Day Is Everyday! How Will You Contribute?

Today is Earth Day. To me everyday is Earth Day. I have been an avid recycler since the '70's when at school we were bombarded by "Hootie the Owl" saying "Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute" and took it to heart. That crying Native American advert (sappy as it was) always made me sad and my meager young mind became obsessed with trying to keep the planet clean. I compost, I garden organically, have been an avid fan of organic products (food, cleaning products, you name it) and recycle everything I possibly can. I stopped using plastic bags from shops many years ago and always carry a reusable tote. My castoffs go to consignment shops, charity shops, and freesharing (also known as freecycle in some areas.) I have friends who are appalled at my very low usage of harmful chemicals such as bleach, but my house (those as mentioned previously is chaotic) is spotless without the use of any harmful chemicals. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is that today is like any other for this Punk Glam Queen.

However, I have planned a few things in celebration and to promote Earth Day. I'll be loading up donations for the local charity shop (probably walking out with more than I dropped off!), dropping the odd plastic bags (unfortunately DH and DD aren't as diligent as myself) at the recycling center, doing yard work (just in case spring really does decide to arrive in NY), and my daughter and I will take a walk around the neighborhood cleaning any trash we find.

This is a picture of the front of our home last May when my climbing roses were in full bloom. All grown organically. I'm very proud of this accomplishment as when we moved here, the soil was so damaged it took me a good 3 or 4 years to replenish it enough to get anything to flourish.

Now do tell what you have planned for today? And do you plan to keep doing something special to continue the Earth Day celebration every day of the year?

Cheers!
Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, talk to me! Speak your mind and make a difference. I love finding new blogs to follow, and I can't visit unless you comment.
*Please note: comments are moderated, and anonymous commenting is allowed. I will NOT publish rude comments made anonymously, if you have something rude to say then grow a pair and sign in, then I'll post your comment.I also don't publish comments with imbedded links to spam sites, so stop wasting your time -- you know who you are!
XXX Jet

http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com/p/blog-page.html