22 April 2010

Earth Day: Garden and a Mystery Tree

Happy Earth Day to everyone! Unfortunately mine is spoiled a little as I have to drive to occupational therapy and I always try to make Earth Day a driving free day. In spite of that, the rest of the day will be driving free and we shall walk everywhere. We are lucky to be within walking distance to markets and restaurants so when the weather gets nice (all I usually need is some sun, even in winter) we do walk rather than drive to get the groceries, etc. even though my gas mileage is such that I only have to fill up every 4-6 weeks! (Go Mini!) Always trying to think of ways I can contribute to the Earth's healing year round.

We've been having some nice spring weather and the garden is starting to blossom. My lilac trees are usually in bloom by Mother's Day (in May) but this year they're a slight bit early. The scent is quite heady as I have three trees, but its lovely to see their blossoms bursting forth with exuberance. I try not to cut too many to bring inside, as I've been told it will take more time for the blossoms to return (and have indeed noticed that, last year I cut none and the trees are laden) but I couldn't resist and did a little pruning to make a lovely bouquet. Only three cuts made quite a large bouquet which has of course has scented the whole main floor of our house in a matter of minutes after placing them in a vase!

They are quite tall now! Apologies -- the sun decided to be in just the wrong spot for most of these pictures!

A lone daffodil with my peonies getting taller behind.

In front of that my veronica is creeping like mad and has blossomed!

A lone tulip. When we moved here almost 10 years ago I planted masses of tulips and daffodils. However only a few have ever come up. I fear some type of critter eats my bulbs!

I planted this last year and it has spread nicely, I believe its mountain pink? With some wild violets. The wild violets cover every inch of our yard so that I don't allow my husband to cut the grass until they die, or until I'm able to gather together some small bouquets.


In our backyard, the tallest dogwood tree I've ever seen. You can just about make out the top, the oak tree in the yard behind us sort of blocks where the top is.


I absolutely love dogwood blossoms for their simplicity. I'm considering finding a spot where I can put a pink one since I love them so much.

And now on to the mystery tree...

This tree has been winding its way around our lilac bushes ever since we moved in. It's never flowered and I thought it was some kind of weed as its so invasive and fast growing. However, this year as I was trying to prune it back (if you saw the pile I cut of just what was overhanging onto our neighbor's driveway you'd be shocked) I noticed a flower. Which then flipped me out thinking I've been decimating some type of tree that was purposely planted. So here are some pictures and perhaps someone out there can help me solve my mystery?

This is a picture of the base of the tree which is actually at the base of the lilac.

Here it is in "action" soaring skyward while twisting it's way through the lilacs (taken last week before the lilacs opened.)
Lastly, we have a picture of the "flower" as of last week. If I can find it again, I'll take another picture if there has been a change. It's super twisted into the top of of lilac tree and difficult to find, as it may have soared even higher! (Honest, it grows like mad.)

So there you have my mystery tree. Any guesses?

Cheers!


10 comments:

  1. You have more than one lone flower. They should form a club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TBC, Tough Bulbs Club? (Since they're lone flowers they have to be tough, right?) heehee!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Earth Day. Lilacs are my absolute favorite and the smell takes me back to my grandma's garden. The best scent!

    Are you sure the mystery tree is a tree? It looks like a vine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Earth Day to you too! Lilacs seem to be so good at evoking past memories due to their strong scent. They remind me of my childhood and the lilac tree in our backyard. I love them so, and am enjoying the display.

    The mystery tree does actually have tree like roots and will get quite thick if I allow them to. But they do also twist like a vine. So I suppose it could be one. My original guess when we first discovered it nearly 10 years ago was that it was wisteria. But it never blossomed and just kept choking the lilacs. It also seemed an odd place to put wisteria, seeing as it only has room to grow into and choke the lilacs. But then again, some weird invasive plantings were discovered throughout our front and back yard! (We're still trying to get rid of them in order to make the landscaping more interesting and less overrun and wild. I can take the "Addam's Family" moniker only so far!) Perhaps a case of over-exuberant amateur gardeners?
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilacs! How wonderful. I love this time of year. LLGxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LLG, thanks for stopping by and commenting! As I write this, I'm sitting outside on our front porch and can just make out the last waft of scent as the blossoms fade away. So odd that they burst forth so early. My parents live a mere 6 miles south and a wee bit east of us, yet the lilacs in their entire village hadn't even begun to open when I took these photos! Strange growing patterns this year... I wonder what other surprises we're in for?
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures! Hmmm...green is your color I know and now I know that you even have a green thumb! Thanks for brightening up my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heehee! Good to "see" you around again! Well I used to grow good dirt! Then I stopped paying attention to what you're "supposed" to do or where something "should" go, and started following my gut instincts. That's when I realized I had a green thumb!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look like wisteria to me too! It seems like there is a fence behind the lilacs? Could the roots have migrated? Perhaps it was intended to cover the fence at some point in the past. When we lived in California, we had a wisteria vine that never did much blooming, since the people before us had tried so hard to remove it. They are pretty vigorous and will lift up a fence if allowed.
    I must want to play in dirt more again. I'm so drawn to other people's posts about their yards! Can zucchini be far behind?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep there is my neighbor's falling down eyesore of a fence behind the lilac's. Its quite possible the previous owners did something like that to try and cover up the eyesore. They did a lot of bizarro plantings! (I'm STILL 10 years later digging up wild garlic because they planted it by the roses, man it STINKS!) I haven't been able to get to the top to see if that flower has done anything, but perhaps I'll just have to climb up on a ladder (not a wise prospect for clumsy me!) and see what's happening. Oh I hope you get to get your hands in the dirt soon, its the best therapy and I always feel so wonderful after. Its a very satisfying hobby like baking bread!
    XXX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, talk to me! Speak your mind and make a difference. I love finding new blogs to follow, and I can't visit unless you comment.
*Please note: comments are moderated, and anonymous commenting is allowed. I will NOT publish rude comments made anonymously, if you have something rude to say then grow a pair and sign in, then I'll post your comment.I also don't publish comments with imbedded links to spam sites, so stop wasting your time -- you know who you are!
XXX Jet

http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com/p/blog-page.html